Monday, March 23, 2009

Intention of Being

First story of Fihi Ma-Fih starts with a proverb regarding scholars. Mawlana says; The worst of scholars are those who visit princes. Such a great prince stands at the door of the poor; such a wretch poor stands at door of the prince.

Mawlana says; most of the people do not understand the inner meaning of this proverb and explains: The worst scholars are those who behave upon princes. They revolve their life in order to get princes' attention and praise.

In a very pragmatic way of thinking it could be said that, even though the purpose is attaining the princes praise, the person becomes a scholar and there is nothing wrong with it. However, purpose of an action is attached importance in Islam. It is believed that, if intention of an act is pure good, the people will deemed in good deeds even the results occurred badly.

I just recall a memory of mine. Once I met with an Imam when I was in law school. I asked him, "if I decide to be a judge, what shall I do while rendering a decision, what if I decide wrong?". He said that, "If you believe in what you decide and your decision is right, lets say you will have 100 good deeds. Deciding wholeheartedly and according to law of course, if you give wrong decision you will have 10 good deeds instead of 100. The matter is, if you believe, your decision is right or not." This story impressed me so much. However I have not become a judge. Story of another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment